Monday, December 22, 2008

Won't be long...

It's good to see that the Archbishop of Canterbury has expressed his feeling that he might not be entirely against the the idea that the Church of England should be disestablished.

Not because the contortions of his one-hand/other-hand arguments give me any hope that we common folk will ever be able to understand the finer points of the relationship between Church and State.

To quote Dr Rowan Williams in full flow:

"My unease about going for straight disestablishment is to do with the fact that it's a very shaky time for the public presence of faith in society. I think the motives that would now drive disestablishment from the state side would be mostly to do with . . . trying to push religion into the private sphere, and that's the point where I think I'd be bloody-minded and say, 'Well, not on that basis.'"

Got that? Me neither.

No, the reason that this is good news is that it gives me a chance to use, quite legitimately for the very first time, the alleged longest word in the English language.

Dr Rowan Williams is not wholly committed to antidisestablishmentarianism.


My work here is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment